University of California, Los Angeles Point Loma Nazarene University
Bachelor of Arts, Political Science Master of Arts, Education, Counseling
International Relations and Critical Studies Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential
Counselor and Consultant
• Providing one-on-one student support services for students and parents, in private practice, promoting academic growth, personal excellence, and social skills within the family, school, community matrix. Mentoring, tutoring, coaching, counseling, behavioral consulting as well as home, school, community, and on-line safety and security.
• Providing full spectrum copy editing and writing services; Website design, development, and deployment; Cross platform original content development; Creative consulting and strategic planning; Content creation and oversight services; Correspondence and communications; Corporate communications and reports; Personal correspondence and statements; Writing and consulting for fIlm and television; Curatorial, journalistic, and dramatic writing; Concept development and execution, and other services available upon inquiry.
Glendale Unified School District, Eleanor Toll Middle School (2011-2013)
• Provided a variety of academic, social/personal, and disciplinary interventions, mediations, counseling, and workshops, as well as emotional support to a diverse middle school student population, staff, and administrators.
• Worked with students, parents, teachers, psychologists, and other stakeholders to develop healthier, safer, and more secure relations, and environments for all community members, particularly highly challenged students.
Violence Prevention Specialist
Founder and Director, Student Resource Center, Herbert Hoover High School, Glendale Unified School District (2006-2011)
• Worked with a diverse high school student population (particularly “at-risk” and “high-risk students), staff, and administrators, as well as parents, teachers, police, psychologists, and other community partners in developing long-term, positive changes in school climate and culture, with an eye towards student personal growth and development, both within and outside the school environment.
• Provided a full spectrum of academic, social/personal, and disciplinary interventions, mediations, and counseling, as well as organizing school-wide human rights, anti-bullying, and school safety events, in accordance with the SRC’s founding as an alternative assessment, counseling, and intervention initiative.
• Created and implemented a series of experimental courses and workshops for challenged students, as well, at other GUSD venues.
Multiple Venues and Capacities (1988–2006)
• Hoover High School (GUSD), Rose and Alex Pilibos High School, (Private); Woodrow Wilson Junior High School (GUSD); Ferrahian High School (Private); Daily Continuation School (GUSD); Glendale High School (GUSD); The Experimental High School/School 184, Yerevan, Armenia (Public/Private);
• Subjects have included English, Social Studies, History, Current Affairs, Economics, and Creative Writing.
• Active involvement in student counseling, discipline, behavior, and extra-curricular activities.
Consultant, Lecturer, and Instructor
To Public and Private Interests in the Republic of Armenia (1990–1993)
• Consultant to Deputy-Minister of Education, Ministry of Education, provided advisory and consultative services to government officials, NGO’s, and private individuals during transition from Soviet rule.
• Board member of the original Future Forum Fund, founded as a joint public/private sector educational foundation for the advancement of comprehensive and inclusive educational practices in a developing society.
• English Department Coordinator/Instructor, The Experimental High School, Yerevan, Armenia.
• Conducted research and writing for cultural and arts projects, as well as providing editorial and writing services to media groups and journalists.
• Conducted humanitarian aid and other services in various parts of Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh.
Freelance and as AKMI Media Services, (1986–Present)
• Provided print and web-based editorial, copy-editing, and writing services to corporate and individual clients, including Sony Music Entertainment, Ex Voto Art Center, Estuary Press, Escott Associates, Studio Flux, The Tchaikovsky School of Music, Park Avenue Business Center, Beverly Laurel Automotive, and Re/Max Optima, among others.
• Emphasized development of original content, writing, and copy-editing for websites and print, as well as concept development and brand cultivation for niche markets.
• Generated curatorial and critical writing for literary and arts related projects, as well as other endeavors.
Asbarez Daily Newspaper, English Edition, (1985–1988 and 1994-1996)
• Provided editorial direction and original content, as well as editing, re-writing, and translating copy, including news stories, articles, interviews, and fiction.
• Founding editorial board member, Exile Bi-Weekly Literary Supplement (1986–1987);
• Provided editorial direction, original content and graphics, as well as publication oversight and a full range of editorial services.
Youth Resource Center, The Armenian Community Project, Western US, (1986–1987)
• Provided direction, research, and resources to community organizations, high schools, and university student groups.
• Planned and implemented educational programs and activities on a regional scale, as well as established a resource library and educational database.
• Lectured extensively on contemporary social issues and Armenian history in the greater Los Angeles and San Francisco areas.
© Ara Mgrdichian. 2014. All Rights Reserved. AKMI|MEDIA=